The inspiration behind Pela Case was shaped by two experiences from co-founder, Jeremy Lang.
• Seeing flax field fires in his hometown as a young boy and wondering if there was a better use for flax straw than just burning it down every year
• Seeing plastic pollution on the shores of Hawaii with his young son and wondering how he could help curb the plastic waste ending up in our landfills and oceans
With ocean plastics dominating headlines as of late, Pela was founded as a way to get sustainable plastic alternatives into conversation - starting with a product you use and hold every day and carry with you morning to night. If we all start talking about sustainable plastic alternatives, how long until it becomes the new normal?
A waste free future is Pela’s mission, creating big impact through small choices, it is the world’s first 100% compostable phone case and the company operates under the 4 C’s, supporting their Company Culture through:
- Community – you can’t do what were trying to do without a large and loud community
- Creativity – foster it to inspire innovation
- Consciousness – live with awareness and consciousness of the impact of our choices
- Courage – embrace courage by taking action despite uncertainty
To highlight and share Pela Case's successes, here is what they accomplished in 2018:
- 42,504 lb of plastic have been removed from the waste stream, Pela’s goal is to remove 1 billion pounds of plastic from the waste stream in the next 5 years
- 6,462 feet of coastline protected in partnership with the Surfrider Foundation who work to campaign, champion policy changes, raise awareness and fight legal battles for coasts
- $63,977 raised to Save The Waves through Pela case sales. Construction of beach-front projects such as harbours and seawalls have drastically altered coastal ecosystems. Save the Waves works with local communities to identify issues through campaigns and projects
- $95,439 contributed to 1% For The Planet. 1% providesa credible and accessible way to support the environment by connecting businesses to their trusted nonprofit partners
- 4.5 Million miles of ocean protected through Oceana, the largest international advocacy organization focused solely on ocean conservation. They work globally creating directed campaigns that achieve measurable outcomes that help make our oceans more bio-diverse and abundant