AWARE is a member driven charity that works to protect the natural environment in Whistler and the Sea to Sky through advocacy and speaking up about key environmental issues, while empowering others to do the same through science-based research and education.
AWARE works towards a vision of a knowledgeable community that is engaged and empowered to preserve and enhance the environment on which it depends.
- Zero Waste Heroes - This social enterprise works with local events and the Whistler Farmer's Market to manage their waste. AWARE offers pre-event support to find ways to reduce the amount of waste the event is producing, host zero waste stations on the day of the event and provide a follow-up report with waste diversion metrics and recommendations that events can use to improve in years to come. In 2017, 2332 Kg of waste out of 2530 kg collected were diverted from landfill.
- In 2015-2016 AWARE worked with over 40 commercial properties and 110 accommodation units to help improve their waste diversion by offering in business support and creating toolkits for accommodation properties. Through this project, the following tools were developed: http://www.awarewhistler.org/wastereductiontools/
- Plastic Straw Campaign - Straw Wars Whistler
- Whistler Bag Project - This pilot project with the Crystal lodge placed bags to be borrowed and laundered in each hotel room
- In 2017 in partnership with the Squamish Lillooet Regional District AWARE went into over 15 classrooms in our district to teach school kids about waste reduction and waste diversion
- This fall AWARE is hosting their first Repair Cafe during Waste Reduction Week as part of our Zero Waste Living Workshop Series. The series also covers upcycling jewellery, learning to preserve food and making your own zero waste beauty products
- Every year in the Spring and the Fall since 2014, AWARE hosts a Clothing Swap where people can swap their old clothes for something new to them. At this event, they also host repair stations that people can get their clothing mended at.
- Every year in the Spring and the Fall AWARE hosts a Community Garage Sale where people can sell/buy second-hand items