Sobeys Inc., is a family nurturing families. They nourish millions of families across Canada and are deeply committed to their communities. Sobeys Inc. takes responsibility for the impact they have on the planet. Their actions are guided by their commitment to positively impact People and the Planet, and to serve Products that nurture the diverse needs of Canadian families, both today and in the future.
Food Waste Reduction Objectives & Progress:
- Sobeys Inc. is committed to taking measurable actions to prevent and reduce food waste in their Operations by 50% by 2025. Empire’s family of brands and Second Harvest have formed a national partnership to implement the Second Harvest Food Rescue App at Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods and Voilà with the goal of diverting 31 million pounds of food and approximately 41 million kilograms of GHG emissions annually
- To date, Sobeys Inc. has established regional perishable food recovery partnerships with the Greater Victoria Food Sharing Network, Feed Nova Scotia, Winnipeg Harvest, the Kamloops Food Bank and Quebec Food Banks
- Almost half of their stores have an organic waste collection program that allows them to be composted or biodegraded
- Sobeys is piloting a food-waste innovation in partnership with ORCA to deal with food waste in stores by installing machines that use air, water and microbes to turn food waste into an eco-friendly liquid that is safe to put down the drain
- Launched the mobile app FoodHero, in our IGA stores in Quebec to offer customers discounted items for purchase to save costs while reducing food waste
Sobeys is pleased to support Waste Reduction Week in Canada and they encourage customers to learn how they can reduce food waste at home. Visit sobeys.com/foodrescue
Learn more about Sobeys’ commitment to social and environmental issues here.