Food Waste Friday Supporting Partner
Sobeys Inc., is a family nurturing families. They nourish millions of families across Canada and are deeply committed to their communities. Sobeys Inc. takes responsibility for the impact they have on the planet. Their actions are guided by their commitment to positively impact People and the Planet, and to serve Products that nurture the diverse needs of Canadian families, both today and in the future.
Waste Reduction Objectives & Progress:
- Eliminated plastic grocery bags from their Sobeys stores, removing 225 million plastic bags from circulation each year with plans to eliminate plastic grocery bags in all their stores across Canada.
- Worked with suppliers to eliminate hard-to-recycle plastic packaging. For example, removed almost 33,000 kilograms of plastic polystyrene foam trays and replaced with recyclable fibers.
- Reduced the thickness of the plastic wrap used to wrap pallets and eliminated plastic wrapping from some of our uniforms which saved over 169,000 kg of plastic. Products are shipped nationwide on reusable Commonwealth Handling Equipment Pool (CHEP) pallets.
- Launched the mobile app, FoodHero, in 200 IGA stores in Quebec to offer customers discounted items for purchase to save costs while reducing food waste.
- Almost half of their stores have an organic waste collection program that allows them to be composted or biodegraded.
- Sobeys Inc. is committed to taking measurable actions to prevent and reduce food waste in their Operations by 50% by 2025. To date, Sobeys Inc. has established regional perishable food recovery partnerships with the Greater Victoria Food Sharing Network, Feed Nova Scotia, Winnipeg Harvest, the Kamloops Food Bank and Quebec Food Banks. Sobeys is currently focused on developing a national food rescue program.
Sobeys is pleased to support Waste Reduction Week in Canada and they encourage customers to learn how they can reduce food waste at home. Visit sobeys.com/foodwaste
Learn more about Sobeys’ commitment to social and environmental issues here.