Plastics Thursday Lead Partner
The circular economy recognizes a combination of business models that expand beyond recycling to underpin resource efficiency through reduction and reuse. Models such as products as service, resource recovery, and sharing platforms focus on expanding product lifespan and maximizing use of material to increase their value at the design stage and at end-of-life.
Keurig Dr Pepper Canada celebrates waste reduction and the circular economy by focusing on design for circularity. From removing unnecessary packaging and using more recycled content, to designing all of their packaging to be recyclable or compostable, and working with peers to improve plastics management along the value chain, they are on a mission to eliminate packaging waste.
Circular Commitments and Achievements:
- Convert 100% of the packaging to a recyclable or compostable format by 2025.
- Use 30% PCR content across all packaging portfolio by 2025.
- Incorporate post-consumer rPET (recycled polyethylene terephthalate) in beverage bottles, with plans to begin transitioning the company's water portfolio and Snapple® beverages to 100% rPET bottles in the first half of 2021.
- Expand use of (PCR) materials is a critical element of being a responsible product steward, and contribute to a circular economy by closing the loop for valuable materials.
- Introduce recycled plastic in Keurig® brewers starting in 2020 and actively identify opportunities to transition items that support manufacturing and distribution sites – like pallets and trays – to recycled materials.
- Send zero waste to landfill across North American operations by 2025.
- Obtain 100% of electricity from renewable sources by 2025.
Plastic pollution in the environment is an urgent challenge and we are determined to uncover circular packaging and manufacturing solutions. We want to redefine how our business can be a catalyst for positive change for consumers, employees, suppliers, partners, communities, and the planet.
That’s why we are proud to partner with Waste Reduction Week in Canada. We all have a role to play in waste reduction and it’s all hands on deck. By supporting businesses, governments, and individuals to embrace the circular economy we can re-design the way our economy works by designing products that can be ‘made to be made again’ and powering the system with renewable energy.
Learn more about Keurig Dr Pepper's circular economy advancements here.