Food Waste Friday Sponsor
The world today is complex and volatile – a world facing profound social challenges rooted in global food insecurity, environmental degradation and other pressing issues. Maple Leaf Foods believes they have an important role to play in meeting these challenges and that there are significant opportunities for food companies who are prepared to lead and change.
Maple Leaf’s vision is to be the most sustainable protein company on earth, supported by the very best and inspired people. Sustainability is a far-reaching commitment and is deeply entrenched in their business.
Maple Leaf’s recent sustainability achievements include:
1. Achieved Total Recordable Incidence Rate of 0.78 in 2016, a world class workplace safety performance.
2. Expanded Maple Leaf’s market leadership in pork and poultry raised without antibiotics.
3. Converting 33,000 sows to an enhanced open housing system by year-end 2017, while implementing a comprehensive plan to establish leading animal care practices.
4. Launched the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security to advance sustainable food security through advocacy, innovation and knowledge transfer.
5. Cut energy use by 27.6%, water by 20.9%, waste by 8.4% and GHG emissions by 33.2% since 2015.
6. Committed to achieve 50% women in leadership roles within 5 years (manager level and above).