A List of Environmentally Preferable Products for Retail Promotions
When it comes to shopping, most people say they would prefer to buy more environmentally friendly products. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to know what the choices are.
For Waste Reduction Week, retail stores in Canada are being encouraged to highlight products that reduce waste, conserve energy and resources, and reduce pollution.
Promote the following list of environmentally preferable products as part of your Waste Reduction Week in Canada activities. Ask local retailers to offer promotional specials on such products. Encourage shoppers to seek out these types of products. The marketplace can be a powerful tool for change but only if we make educated choices.
Home Energy Efficiency Products
- Programmable thermostats
- Insulation: Cellulose, Fiberglass, Extruded Polystyrene, etc.
- Expandable Spray Foam Insulation
- Heat Shrink Plastic Storm Windows
- Pipe Insulation
- Electrical outlet gaskets
- Aluminum foil-backed tape
- Hot Water Tank Insulating Blankets
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- Solar Garden Lights
- Compact/fuel efficient vehicles
- Reel mowers
- Solar water heaters
- Trees and shrubs planted in locations to reduce energy consumption
- Local products (reduced transportation)
Water Conservation Devices
- Ultra Low Flush Toilets (6 LPF)
- Compostable Toilets
- Toilet Dams
- Faucet Aerators
- Low Flow Showerheads
- Rain barrels
- Native plant species to reduce dependency on water and pesticides
- Reusable Lunch Containers
- Rechargeable batteries
- Cloth bags
- Mulching mowers
- Wind-up radios, flashlights, etc.
- Bulk groceries
- Refill outlets
- Loaning or renting books and videos
- Items sold in re-useable packaging
- Low/no packaging
- Durable goods
- Used Items
- Recycling receptacles
- Products manufactured from other products: carpet, clothing, glass, paper, etc.